Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happy Saturday from a new room

Ok, so since I have posted everything that we have come through, I can now start posting things as I go through them.  So you, my loyal readers, can experience them with me.

Last night I was able to get a sleep room to get some actual rest in.  The sleep rooms are few and far between.  They are given out based on first how far away you live and second how sick your child is.  Well, we live only about 15 miles from the hospital. and so I generally only ask for when when absolutely need sleep.  I have had them a few times and they were such a welcomed change.  They have a full sized bed, that is actually really comfie.  However, the nicest part is the full bathroom.  I am able to shower, in peace.

Anyway, I slept through my 6:00 a.m. alarm.  At 6:30 my phone rang.  It was not a number I knew so I panicked.  The doctors and nurses have my number in case something happens.  So, it was Florence (yes, that is her name and she is only about 25 and cute as a button), our nurse.  Her first words were "This is not an emergency and I am sorry to wake you."  My heart, of course, was racing at this point.  They had moved Wyatt to another pod (part wing of the ICU) for staffing reasons (not something unusual for us).  She was just calling me to let me know so that I didn't freak when I came to see him. 

Since I was awake, I showered and got ready to come be with the boy.  However, in my shower, I talked to God.  It was a very emotional talk, as most of them have been lately.  It was one of those prayers where you beg for something.  Now, I know that begging generally doesn't get you anywhere, but this morning, I needed to get it out.  I know that God knows my needs.  I also know that the word says ask and you shall receive.  And I also know it doesn't say anything about begging.  However, this morning. I just needed to let it out.  When all was said and done, I felt better.  I felt a little relief. 

When I got to our new room, I was very pleased to see that we have a private restroom.  This is incredible considering the public one in his old pod was disgusting.  And when I say disgusting, I mean DIS-GUS-TING!  I twice had to tell the nurses that there was a bodily fluid (and you don't want to know what kind of bodily fluid I am talking about, trust me) on the floor.  Oh, and the patients don't use this bathroom.  Oh, and neither do the nurses.  Just imagine how dirty it is.  So, you can imagine how incredible it was to find that we had our own, private, restroom. 

Wyatt was sleeping, as he always is nowadays.  They have to keep him sedated because when he is awake, he gets so agitated that his heart rate goes up.  I settled in for a long day. 

I asked about CPAP trials because that is what our surgeon, Dr. Lovvorn, had told us last night.  Our nurse, Curry, said that they weren't going to do one because the peds doctor said that they didn't want to get him tired, since his diaphragm wasn't moving anyway.  Ok, here we go again.  So, I sorta freaked.  It's getting much easier for me to voice my opinion.  Curry said that a doctor was going to come talk to me about it.  I also want to note, that I didn't not freak out on Curry.  Curry is a super sweet and kind nurse, as most all of our nurses have been. 

In the meantime, Wyatt had somehow developed a temperature.  So, they took some blood, took a culture on mucus from his vent and started giving him Tylenol.  Now, his temp wasn't terrible, but of course, they don't want to take chances with anything.

My mom came about 11 and sat with me.  It is so nice to have company.  Don't get me wrong, I have completely gotten use to being alone.  It really doesn't bother me.  And, my handy dandy laptop is such an amazing help to beat the loneliness.  Anyway, around 1:00 Bubby John, Meme and my brother came to take us to lunch.  We ended up at Macaroni Grill, one of my faves!  It was nice to get out of the hospital and be around non-sickness, if only for a minute. 

So, when I got back the doctor came in to tell me that she was very sorry for the lack of communication, again.  She also said that even though Dr. Lovvorn thought there was movement in his diapraghm, the radiologist thought that the movement was very minimal at best.  So, their plan was to not do the CPAP trials because they didn't want him to get tired.  I could be ok with that.  She also told me that Wyatt's white blood count came back good.

Also on Friday, Dr. Lovvorn had told me that on Monday they wanted to do a specialized test to watch his diaphragm in real time.  If there was still no improvement, they would schedule the diaphragm plication surgery on Tuesday.  This surgery will basically attach the left side to the right side of the diaphragm.

Wyatt's temperature had broken shortly after he received the Tylenol and didn't have a problem with if after that.  They did, however, start him on an antibiotic, just in case.  You see, Wyatt not only had the surgery from the aortapexy, but he has a chest tube still in.  So, they don't want whatever it is that is going on with the temp, to be an issue later on.  So, they are treating him with antibiotics.  A move I am totally ok with.

Let me tell you what is so special about Saturday nights.  Mike doesn't have to work on Sundays so he comes to stay with our boy so that I can go home and sleep in my own bed.  It's a magical time when I can walk around in a night shirt, and not worry about doctors or nurses.  When I can take a long, hot bath and just relax. 

So, I left the hospital about 9.  I only stayed so late because I was not a fan of the night nurse.  She left a lot to be desired, that's for sure.  I was really happy that Mike could deal with her.  It wasn't that she wasn't good.  She just took her time.  His blood pressure stays kinda low because he is sedated all of the time.  And they have the machine set off to take it every 30 minutes.  So, when it takes his blood pressure, it's low and his monitor goes off.  It literally took her 20 minutes to come see what the alarm was.  Thank God it wasn't an emergency. 

So off I went for my time back home.  I miss is so much, and I'm pretty sure Mike isn't watering my plants.

1 comment:

  1. Still in my prayers. Could you post an address( home Or hospital) where I could send a card?
    The Lord is with you come what may.