Friday, September 18, 2009

Fall is in the air

I have read many blogs lately about the feeling of Fall in the air. Personally, the Fall of the year is my favorite time of the year, period.


I was born and raised in Eastern Kentucky, one of the most beautiful (and most disgusting - but that's another blog) places on the face of the earth. Situated at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Prestonsburg (my hometown) was made for Fall. Around this time of the year, God begins his painting in this part of the country. The trees begin to change from green to reds, golds and oranges. Around the middle to end of October, there is not more beautiful place than Eastern Kentucky.



It's much, much more than the colors that makes me love this season oh so much. I love the smell of the crisp air. Fall plays on all of your senses. The smells of the air, the tastes of fresh apple cider and pumpkin pie, the sounds of the leaves crunching under your feet, beautiful colors all around. It's almost sensory overload!



I espically love the Fall because of festival time in Eastern Kentucky. I grew up going (religiously) to the local fairs. Paintsville holds the Kentucky Apple Festival. The downtown Paintsville area is set up with booths as far as the eye can see. You can samlple fresh, right before your eyes, apple butter. This was generally the time of year in which my family would all meet at my great grandmothers house. We always had the best time. The very next weekend is the Jenny Wiley Festival, held in my hometown of Prestonsburg. Since it was right around the corner, I spent every waking minute in the festival area. It has since shrunk in size since my childhood, it is still a wonderful time to see old friends I have lost touch with.

This year, I will venture back home for the Jenny Wiley Festival. I hold no great hopes for the festival this year, as in the past I have been disappointed. However, I will be able to see friends that I haven't seen in years. That is always a treat. Hopefully this year it will be just cool enough to wear long sleeves. I have missed that fall tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment